Sep 2, 2010

A Note on Submissions

Hey all,

Traffic on the site has been pretty high recently, and I'm busy in the day job and family life, so I want to let you know how I'm currently managing submissions.

I try to run through the submissions in the morning.  They go great with coffee.  I set up the posts for the day based on what's in queue by 7:00 am EST.  [NOTE: That time may change or disappear altogether on any given day.]

I stagger the posts so each one gets 2-3 hours at the top of the list.  I try to space them out as evenly as possible, but I don't schedule any to post in the wee hours of the morning (EST).  I know there are followers in the UK and down under, maybe if the submission volume goes up I'll post round-the-clock so you can get updates in the daytime.  Heck with your day jobs.  You need the distraction.

I delete submissions from the submission comment thread when I prepare the posts.  Except sometimes I forget to delete them.  Or I forget to post them.  Or  blogger gives me an error.  But to date, I am not aware of a situation where I deleted an entry and didn't post it.  However, I probably just set the stage for the very thing to happen.  Sorry to whomever it might affect.  [NOTE TO GRAMMAR NERDS: I'm pretty sure that's the proper use of affect vs. effect.  Also who vs. whom.  If not, let me know in the comments.  I don't have time to look it up right now.]

That's all for now.  I have to line some queries up for the day.

Rick

9 comments:

Jen said...

You're doing a great job, Rick.

I've only just discovered this site, and I've already submitted my query three times! When I know what I'm doing with this query business myself, I hope I'll be able to offer some advice to others.

As one of your down under followers (how wrong does that sound!) I like the middle-of-the-night updates. Sleep is overrated!

Thanks again for the site, it's brilliant.

Jen

Rick Daley said...

Thanks Jen. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it's the writers like you who submit queries and the others who comment that make this site what it is. I just copy & paste.

lexcade said...

Rick, your grammar is correct :)

Enjoy your coffee and submissions.

And as Jen said, thanks for the site. It's been wonderfully helpful!

Stephanie Lorée said...

Rick: Thank you, thank you. For all the work you're doing, for hosting this site and being consistent with getting submissions up. Thank you for providing an opportunity for us to receive critiques and give them, and to network with other writers.

If I could email you a cookie, I would.

Rick Daley said...

Mesmerix- Thanks. Don't worry about the cookie, just pay it forward by coming back and commenting and letting other writers know about the site.

Anonymous said...

I submitted my query yesterday but it's not showing up? It was titled "Off the Edge." Can you please help me find it. I will resend it.

Thanks

Rick Daley said...

Anon- I got it, it's scheduled to post at noon EST today.

Zee Lemke said...

Several million thanks, Rick. This site has pried me out of writerly seclusion. I don't know where else I ever would have found people willing to help me query and listen to my ideas in turn. (Seriously. I don't know how this was DONE before the internet.) I linked over here from Nathan Bransford's blog way back when you started up, and while I've only recently become active (because I've only recently gotten anywhere near being ready to query), I've always loved the concept.

Rick Daley said...

Zee- I'm glad you broke out and entered the mix. When I first started this site I had no idea if it would work. I'm amazed at results. And I give mad props to Nathan Bransford, who helped promote the site when I launched it.