Mar 15, 2009

Too much is never enough

I've received several comments asking if I plan to regulate or suppress the flow of new queries posted to the site.

For the time being, I don't. I know many people would like to critique all of the queries posted, but for most of us there just isn't time. I've struggled to find fifteen consecutive minutes of free time this weekend, so trust me, I'm playing in the same ballpark as you are.

I understand better than ever why agents send form rejections. I'm not saying I would be issuing rejections for all the queries posted here, what I mean is that reading a query takes time; providing concise feedback triples that time, at least.

If you ever wonder why agents beg us not to reply to a form rejections asking why, then do this:

Log onto this site. Read and critique five queries. Time yourself. Then pretend you have to do 95 more today. And tomorrow, another hundred. And another hundred every day after that...

As a courtesy, if you are submitting a query, please take the time to critique another query (or two, or three...). Any one of us can't critique them all, but as a community of readers and writers, we should be able to get through the slush.

So far I've posted 16 queries, counting two revisions. I've commented on about half, and I want to get tot hem all. There is only one query that has not received any comments, but in all fairness I only posted it 15 minutes ago.

If the volume of queries zaps the value from this project, I'll find a way to deal with it. I'm solutions-oriented.

Until that time, don't feel obligated to read everything. Just read something, and I think it will be fine.

Thanks again for visiting!

4 comments:

Traci said...

Sorry that I haven't critiqued anything. I am so new at this and have not written my own query as of yet. I read them all though!
;-)

I thought I'd drop this off:

http://jetreidliterary.blogspot.com/2009/03/third-dimension-of-query-letters.html

Very helpful! Rick...you have a good thing going here. :-)

Rick Daley said...

LitGirl,

I think you just illustrated another value behind this site, thanks. Those who are submitting queries are looking for feedback, but there may be many like you who learn from reading the queries and the comments without actively participating.

I know I've learned a ton by reading Query Shark, even though my query has never been critiqued there.

I hope this is still going strong when you are ready to post...

Judy said...

I haven't taken the time to thank you for this opportunity. I have reformulated my query several times and I am looking forward to opinions and help.

Someone already commented on my query and found a grammar mistake, which frustrates the heck out of me when I do not catch them. It is really nice to have another set of eyes. That is why I find this little site valuable.
I am not an expert as far as query letters, but I do find some who made the same mistakes that I have made and I pass down the advice I received.
I really hope it helps.

Anyway, I want to thank you for the time you take to run this site.

Rick Daley said...

Judy,

You're welcome, and thank you for helping make this site successful. I'm very happy with it so far, and I'm glad you are finding benefit in posting here.